November 28, 2014
Best BuyStaff Writer
Online shopping has become a popular trend during the holiday season, for obvious reasons. Why go to the store when you can shop in your PJs? Although super convenient, this option can potentially put your personal information at risk.
Here are five great safety tips to help you get that special gift delivered to your door and avoid a bill filled with fraudulent charges.
- Secure that network. A secure connection to the Internet is key in preventing unauthorized access to your information. Proper firewall software should be installed on your computer. If you don’t have firewall software and aren’t sure what to get, our Geek Squad Agents are always willing to help. Give them a call at 1-800 GEEK SQUAD, visit geeksquad.com or stop into any of our stores.
- Safeguard your purchases on the go. Did you know that nearly 50 percent of smartphone owners use (or plan to use) their mobile phones for shopping, according to ABI Research? When using your mobile phone, only shop from reputable retailers and double-check the web address. Your personal data is not secure on an open wireless connection, so make sure you’re using a secure Wi-Fi hotspot. Lastly, a password-protected device makes it pretty difficult for criminals to access your information. Choose a password that isn’t easy for attackers to guess.
- If you don’t recognize it, don’t click it. Don’t be bait for phishing emails. Clicking on links from strange email addresses can put malware or other malicious software on your device, opening it up to cybercriminals. If you accidentally click on one of these links, you can do a free diagnostic scan for spyware and viruses through the Geek Squad Security Center.
- A password change is good. We know changing your password frequently can be annoying. How many versions of your favorite (and memorable) password can you create, right? However, changing your password every 30 days is known to add an extra layer of protection.
- Beware of wandering eyes. A long commute on a bus or a train is the perfect time to get some holiday shopping done, but beware of that stranger sitting next to you. Your neighbors might try and read your screen and steal your credit card number or other information. Investing in a privacy screen or filter can significantly reduce the risk of peeping thieves. Screen protectors come in all shapes and sizes and at Best Buy, you can find the one that’s best for your favorite tech gadget.
Online shopping should always be worry-free, and following these five tips can help ensure that experience. And remember, our Geek Squad Agents are always here to help you out with the best protection against fraud, spam or worse.