June 16, 2020
Kirsten MorellStaff Writer
Best Buy is proud to rank No. 46 on the 2020 list of the 100 Best Corporate Citizens, moving up 21 spots from last year.
This list recognizes outstanding environmental, social and governance (ESG) transparency and performance among the 1,000 largest public companies in the U.S. Our ranking places us in the top 5% of all companies evaluated, and we ranked second in the retail category.
ISS ESG, the responsible investing research arm of Institutional Shareholder Services, compiled the list. It is based on more than 140 ESG performance metrics across areas including climate change, employee relations, environment, finance, governance, human rights and stakeholder relations.
Being a responsible company is an important part of who we are, and it’s the right thing to do for all our stakeholders, including customers, employees, communities, partners, shareholders, communities and the environment. We also know that customers and employees consider a company’s impact on people, the community and the planet when deciding where to shop or work.
Here are some ways we demonstrate our commitment to ESG:
- Lowered our carbon emissions 55% since 2009 and remain committed to meeting our Science-Based Target to reduce emissions 75% by 2030 and becoming carbon neutral by 2050.
- Helped customers save $800 million on utility bills over the lifetime of the ENERGY STAR® certified products purchased at Best Buy last year.
- Launched a new sustainable living category on bestbuy.com to help customers live more sustainability inside and outside their homes.
- Completed 24.5 million employee training courses, demonstrating our leadership in training and development.
- Operated 33 Teen Tech Centers, which are year-round after-school programs to help prepare teens from disinvested communities for careers of the future.
- Certified nearly 98% of smelters in Exclusive Brands (ExB) supply chain as conflict-free.
Click here to learn more about our ESG-related efforts.