June 1, 2017
Shane KitzmanStaff Writer
Everyone knows that spot — or two — in the house where the Wi-Fi doesn’t reach, and where the movie you’re watching endlessly buffers.
Samsung aims to make that an issue of the past.
The Samsung Connect Home is the first smart Wi-Fi system to combine fast, reliable Wi-Fi coverage for every room in a home using Samsung’s smart home platform, Samsung SmartThings. It’s available for pre-order only on BestBuy.com and available only in Best Buy stores from July 2-16.
“As we work with customers in stores and in their homes, we know how important it is to have fast, secure and reliable whole-home Wi-Fi, especially with more smart devices now connecting to the web,” said Mary Ortizcazarin, vice president of Smart Home at Best Buy. “Samsung’s Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System accomplishes this with strong Wi-Fi access in every corner of the house, and as a hub for the rest of your smart home.”
A single Connect Home covers up to 1,500 square feet and is $169.99. The three-pack is ideal for homes up to 4,500 square feet and costs $379.99. Connect Home Pro is good for high-bandwidth demands and is $249.99.
What are some features?
- Works as a SmartThings Hub: Samsung Connect Home is the only whole-home Wi-Fi system that works as a SmartThings Hub, making it compatible with hundreds of Works With SmartThings devices, from lights to locks to thermostats. There are no monthly fees or subscriptions.
- Expands your Wi-Fi network: Samsung Connect Home is easily expandable. Each router has a range of 1,500 square feet, and you can wirelessly connect up to five Samsung Connect Home devices for whole-home network coverage of 7,500 square feet.
- Provides security: Samsung Connect Home is protected by hardware-based security technologies. Automatic firmware updates provide additional safeguards to keep smart devices secure.
- Simple setup and management: Samsung Connect Home can be set up with easy-to-follow instructions using the Samsung Connect app. The app will guide placement of each Samsung Connect Home device throughout a home for optimal performance. It simplifies smart device management with automatic connectivity, convenient device integration and easy set-up. You can also see and manage connected devices, set parental controls and allow guest access.
- Compact design: Samsung Connect Home replaces larger, antenna-laden routers with a simple, sleek and compact design that can be placed anywhere, even in plain sight.