November 15, 2017
Suzanne HilkerStaff Writer
Geek Squad Academy, one of Best Buy’s signature community programs, is now accepting applications to host free two-day tech camps for youth in 2018.
We will accept applications from nonprofits, schools, libraries and other community groups.
Geek Squad Academy is one way we will reach our goal of preparing 1 million underserved youth for tech-reliant jobs of the future.
As a partner, here’s what you can expect:
- Passionate instructors – Our Geek Squad Agents and Blue Shirts are the tech experts. They bring energy and experience to teach classes featuring tested curriculum from leading partners like Youth Radio and Mouse.
- Cool technology – We give kids hands-on experience with the latest technologies that support a wide variety of interests. Those technologies include 3D printing, digital music production and computer coding.
- Inspired kids – After two days of interactive classes, kids will earn “Junior Agent” status. They will be able to apply their new skills in school, at home and in their community.
What Geek Squad Academy needs from you:
- Lots of space – Geek Squad Academy needs six classrooms to hold up to 200 students. Also needed is an open area for lunch and group ceremonies over three consecutive days, including set-up time.
- Students – We ask partners to recruit 125-200 students, ages 10-18, for the free two-day camp.
- A handful of volunteers – We’ll need about five people from your organization to help with logistics as we prepare for and conduct the camp session.
Together with our partners, we’ll spark the interest of thousands of kids across the country to pursue education and career choices in the tech field. If your organization wants to be part of this unique experience, check out the complete requirements and apply here by Feb. 1, 2018.
For more Best Buy for Good news, follow us on Twitter @BestBuyCSR or visit us at corporate.bestbuy.com/community-relations-overview/.