October 6, 2016
Suzanne HilkerStaff Writer
So you’re living in your first apartment. Freedom! But you’re also paying the bills now. And let’s be honest, you’d rather spend your money on a night out than on your electric bill, right?
October is Energy Awareness Month, so we’re sharing a few easy ways to save energy and money in your first place:
- Ask your landlord to change overhead lights to LED – they are energy efficient and last a long time.
- While you’re talking to your landlord, ask them to install a smart thermostat. They can pay for themselves in about two years.
- Use smart power strips for large electronics like TVs and computers.
- Put your computer or laptop in sleep mode.
- Unplug small appliances like coffee makers when you’re not using them and same for phone chargers. Even if a device isn’t on, if it’s plugged in, it will still be using standby power.
- Wait until your laundry load is completely full so you aren’t wasting water and electricity – and wash those clothes in cold water.
- Check out solar chargers – the sun’s energy is free!
Make sure your roommates are on board with the energy-saving plan. You can cheers to your next month’s bill.
For more Best Buy sustainability stories, follow @BestBuyCSR on Twitter.